- Involve colleagues who see the world differently from you.
- Fight the temptation to solve today's problem with yesterdays solution
- Solve problems with a win-win orientation
- Solicit information from individuals affected by the decision
- Make sure you are solving the right problem
- Consider as many solution as possible.
- Realize that even the best solution may open the door to new problems.
- If you are using hard data as the basis of your decision, verify the numbers.
- When you make a decision affecting others, share the reason behind the decision.
- Think in terms of satisfying, not optimization.
- Ask a lot of questions.
- Learn from prior decisions
- Ask for criticism.
- Recognize your personal decision making biase