From America to Australia in Under 6 Hours
Just 100 years ago, getting from America to Europe was a voyage that took several days by ocean liners. With the invention of airplanes, that travel time was significantly shortened to under 24 hours. At the apex of the era of transatlantic flight, the Concorde was able to fly 100 passengers at mach 2.0 speeds from New York to London in just over 3.5 hours.
|Sources: 1 | 2|
Now, the European Space Agency (ESA) just greenlighted the next stage of modern transportation – the hypersonic flight. The ESA has approved a new round of funding to project LAPCAT (Long-Term Advanced Propulsion Concepts and Technologies).
Ignoring its funny name, the new plane will fly at mach 5.0 speeds (that’s five times the speed of sound!), using liquid hydrogen engines. The planes will be able to travel from England to Australia in four hours, carry 300 passengers and even fly to space in just 15 minutes.
The new kind of engine is being developed by the British company Reaction Engines, who is said to invest over 60 million GBP in the development, and are going to start builing a full-scale prototype engine.
Current jet engines require that airplanes carry liquid oxygen as a coolant because in speeds beyond mach 3.0 the engines cannot use external oxygen for cooling. The new type of engine can use external oxygen freely, allowing it to cool down its engines from over 1,000°c (1,832°f) to -150°c (-328°f) in a fraction of a second.
Experts are hailing this development as the biggest advancement in aviation since the invention of the jet engine. The cost of a single plane is estimated to be a whopping $1.1 Billion and will have no windows.
|All LATAP images: Source|
atch the interesting video, explaining the LAPCAT's abilities.
- ► 2017 (430)
- ► 2016 (960)
- ► 2015 (1034)
12/21 - 12/28
- Stop Being So Positive
- Story: Man Locked In Cold Room
- Story: A Cry for Help
- Short Story: The Unhappy Young Lady
- Story: German Food
- 5 Life Lessons a Mosquito Can Teach You.
- What to Do If You're Smarter than Your Boss
- 20 Ways To Recognize A Good Partner
- Careful! Don't Use These Words With Your Boss
- Tech: Revolutionary New Plane Will Cut Travel Time...
- 7 Ways to Build Effective Social Skills
- Are You A Responsible Citizen?
- Story: Keeping Others Happy
- Why Charity is Important
- Ten Stupid Policies Great People Leave Companies
- For Beginners: Some Tips to improve your English
- Microsoft Excel: Top 10 Formulas for Aspiring Anal...
- Analytical Thinking - How to Analyze Thoughts
- How to Simplify Your Life in 10 Steps
- Story: The Crow, The Parrot and The Peacock
- ▼ 12/21 - 12/28 (20)
- ► 2013 (802)
- ► 2012 (882)
- ► 2011 (188)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (58)
Home » Unlabelled » Tech: Revolutionary New Plane Will Cut Travel Time by Half
- on 12/24/2014 04:58:00 PM - No comments