White lies are common in daily life. However, lying could be interfering with your physical and mental health. A recent study suggests that honesty really is the best policy.
A "Science of Honesty" project at the University of Notre Dame asked people to give up telling major and minor lies for 10 weeks. At the conclusion of the experiment, the test subjects reported that they felt less tension and sadness when they refrained from lying. They also reported that they had fewer physical symptoms, such as headaches and sore throats.
Try these strategies to make it easier to avoid those white lies.Incorporating complete honesty into your life can be difficult. But, the rewards are amazing.
Guidelines for Being More Honest in Everyday Life:
|7 Habits of Highly Ethical People|
2. Stop making excuses. Becoming more accountable is a great place to start. When you show up late for an appointment, just apologize for running late instead of pretending there was a traffic jam.
3. Fulfill your promises. There will be less temptation to make up stories if you keep your word in the first place. Accept your limitations and take on only what you can handle.
4. Ask directly. Direct approaches work better than manipulation. Invite a friend on a weekend getaway instead of trying to convince her that she looks tired and needs a break.
|18 Ways to Improve Body Language|
6. Present yourself accurately. Take risks and open up to others. Express your true feelings. State your opinions even when they're different than the majority.
7. Think like a nurse. A Gallup poll found that nurses were especially straightforward. That makes sense considering that a person's health is often at stake. Consider your impact on the world when you're feeling inclined to sidestep the truth.
8. Speak tactfully. Uncomfortable subjects and situations are easier to face when you choose your words carefully. It's also helpful to select an appropriate time and place. Think about how you'd want someone to talk to you about a difficult topic and give them the same courtesy.
|10 Tips to Improve Interpersonal Relation|
Guidelines for Being More Honest in Specific Situations:1. Evaluate your parenting. Your kids provide a lot of motivation for becoming a worthy role model. If you embrace honesty in your life, your children will follow suit. Help them develop solid communication skills and emotional intelligence. They'll grow up to be more resilient and resourceful.
2. Deepen your intimate relationships. The courage to be honest will strengthen your connection with your partner. You'll feel accepted for who you are and give them the chance to experience the same joy.
3. Be more honest at work. Find a line of work that allows you to operate according to your values. Figure out how to be honest with your boss and coworkers in a respectful way.
4. Engage in self-reflection. Set aside time on a regular basis to review how you're doing with incorporating honesty into your life. Think in terms of progress rather than perfection.
|The Guide to Stress Management|
Honesty is good for your mind and body. Telling lies and keeping track of them can be stressful. Truthfulness, combined with sensitivity, will strengthen your relationships and help you feel better about yourself.
Reference; My Self Improvement Daily.