Marriage is one of the most beautiful, exciting, romantic and adventurous
phases of your life. It means you will be starting a new phase of your life, sharing your home, your space and your life with someone. It also brings the joy of beginning a new family. All the excitement, anticipation and nervousness are what make it worthwhile
When you tie the knot and start a life together, irrespective of the fact whether yours is a love or an arranged marriage, the first year of your marriage is the most decisive one as it is the time you discover, you learn, you implement and you follow.
Confused? Well don't be, read on and enjoy as you unfold the importance of this crucial year of your life.
1. You are getting to know each otherYou may have known each other for a long time, but there are many things that you get to know about a person only when you share your life with them. Your partner's likes, dislikes, habits - good as well as bad, the way they eat, sleep and many other things make you aware of your partner completely.
2. You learn to share "everything"
Not only your home, but things like your space, your cupboards, your towels, your car, your favourite chocolates that you have stacked in the fridge, which may seem like small things but mean a lot to you!
3. You fight, but you also learn how to act as a unit when a dreadful situation arises
If you are a married couple who does not fight, then there is seriously something wrong with you! A healthy marriage has healthy fights and that is what brings you closer too. And along the way, you realise that you may fight your hearts out, but when faced with a challenging situation, you never leave your partner alone. Rather, you two become a team and look for fruitful solutions to solve the problem before you.
4. You learn what makes your partner happy and what makes them sadThis phase of your marriage is where you spend the maximum time together (as it is also called the "extended honeymoon phase"). Hence, not only the likes and dislikes, but it also makes you well aware of your partner's tastes, both good and bad.
5. You get to know each other's strong and weak pointsWhen you are dating, your partner might show you his/her strong points, but will always feel conscious and shy of making you familiar with the weak ones. But, once you are married and your partner is convinced that you would not be judged, you get to see both the strong and not-so-strong qualities of your spouse, and learn how to deal with them too.
6. You realise how both of you deal with a crisis when one arisesYou may be the strong one when a difficult situation arises and would want to fight it in the eye. Your spouse, on the other hand, might be just the opposite and may prefer to either ignore it or run away from it. When you know how both of you deal with specific situations and are aware of each other's crisis management techniques, you are better equipped to deal with them when the next one arises.
7. You become aware of each other's fighting patternYes, that is true! The first year of your marriage is enough time for you to understand the pattern or the triggers for your partner to get angry and start fights. So, you either learn to change your habits or try to change your spouse's unjust behaviour. You also become more aware of not letting fights caused by silly triggers to occur in the future.
8. You learn to choose your words before speakingBecause once you say things that you did not intend to, but did in a sudden burst of anger, you see the consequences and the distance that it creates between the two of you. Then you wish, you had not used such hurtful words. So, you learn to choose your words wisely.
9. This year is the foundation, the stepping stone to a lifetime of happiness and commitmentIt has a million happy moments, many romantic instances, some sorrows, a lot of fights, maybe a few doctor visits, a few good family get-togethers, some bitter experiences with loved ones, and many more of such ups and downs. But, all these together, lay the foundation to your 'happily ever after'!
10. You realise the meaning of starting your own familyUntil now, family comprised of you, your parents, your siblings and your relatives. Now, you learn the new definition of family where it is you, your husband, your in-laws, a child in the future, and how to keep everyone happy and together!
11. You finally get a best friend for lifeYou know, your 3 am companion, your partner in crime, your best buddy who also luckily happens to be your spouse? And, the reason you enjoy the company of your best friend the most in the first year is because that is the most fun-filled and stress-free time.
12. You realise how lucky you are to have each other and that you have made the right choiceOnce you start living together, making your home the way you want it to be, discovering new facts about each other, learning new things from each other and realising how content and happy you feel every day, makes you feel blessed to have got married to this wonderful person. You feel certain that you will have a beautiful future as this year taught you a lot about each other, and that is all you need to start your journey.