1. Share a specific example of something they did for you and how it made a difference in your life.
2. Do something little but thoughtful for them—like clean up after Thanksgiving dinner!
3. Give a long, intimate hug; or if you know they don't like hugs, stick out your hand for a handshake to cater to their preferences and make them smile.
4. Tell them you're there if they have anything they want to talk about—and let them know they have your full attention.
5. Give them something of yours that you think they would enjoy, and let them know specifically why you want them to have it.
6. Invite them to do something you know they've always wanted to do.
7. Encourage them to try something you know they want to try, but haven't yet because they're scared.
8. Offer to do something you know they don't enjoy doing, like organizing their closet or mowing their lawn.
9. Compliment them on a talent, skill, or strength that you admire.