At a restaurant, a cockroach suddenly flew from somewhere and sat on
a lady. She started screaming out of fear. With a panic stricken
face and trembling voice, she started jumping, with both her hands
desperately trying to get rid of the cockroach.
Her reaction was contagious, as everyone in her group also got
The lady finally managed to push the cockroach away but ...it landed
on another lady in the group.
Now, it was the turn of the other lady in the group to continue the
The waiter rushed forward to their rescue.
In the relay of throwing, the cockroach next fell upon the waiter.
The waiter stood firm, composed himself and observed the behavior of
the cockroach on his shirt.
When he was confident enough, he grabbed it with his fingers and
threw it out of the restaurant.
Sipping my coffee and watching the amusement, the antenna of my mind
picked up a few thoughts and started wondering, was the cockroach
responsible for their histrionic behavior?
If so, then why was the waiter not disturbed?
He handled it near to perfection, without any chaos.
It is not the cockroach, but the inability of the ladies to handle
the disturbance caused by the cockroach that disturbed the ladies.
I realized that, it is not the shouting of my father or my boss or
my wife that disturbs me, but it's my inability to handle the
disturbances caused by their shouting that disturbs me.
It's not the traffic jams on the road that disturbs me, but my
inability to handle the disturbance caused by the traffic jam that
More than the problem, it's my reaction to the problem that creates
chaos in my life.
Lessons learnt from the story:
I understood, I should not react in life.
I should always respond.
The women reacted, whereas the waiter responded.
Reactions are always instinctive whereas responses are always well
thought of, just and right to save a situation from going out of
hands, to avoid cracks in relationship, to avoid taking decisions in
anger, anxiety, stress or hurry.
- ► 2017 (705)
10/30 - 11/06
- Employee Feedback - A Great Tool for Imrpovement
- Story: The Butterfly Cocoon
- Story: Hadia Teaches Me A Great Lesson
- Story: The Cockroach and the Lady
- 16 Tips to manage politics in office
- 10 Point Program for happy Family
- 10 Tips to fight depression
- 18 ways to improve your body language
- 7 Signs That An Employee Is Ready For A Promotion
- 27 Email Etiquette Tips for Professionals
- 10 Unwanted Helpers of Humanity
- Humor: Episodes of my life if I were a Doctor!
- How To Avoid Anxiety
- Labeling People
- How to Negotiate with a Liar
- The Nicest Thing Dad did for Me
- How to be an Agent of Change!
- Story: While Shopping in Louisiana
- Knowledge Or Ego?
- 3 Cs to Avoid in Life
- 7 Tips to Strengthen Your Intuition
- ▼ 10/30 - 11/06 (21)
- ► 2015 (1034)
- ► 2014 (969)
- ► 2013 (802)
- ► 2012 (882)
- ► 2011 (188)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (58)