An old lady handed her cheque to a bank teller and said,
“I would like to withdraw ₹500..”
The female teller told her, “For withdrawals less than ₹5,000, please use the ATM”.
The old lady then asked, “Why?” The teller irritably told her, “These are rules. Please leave if there is no other matter. There is a queue behind you.” She then returned the card to the old lady.
The old lady remained silent. But she returned the cheque to the teller and said, “Please help me withdraw all the money I have.”
The teller was astonished when she checked the account balance. She nodded her head, leaned down and said to the old lady, “My apologies Granny, you have ₹3.5 billion in your account and our bank does not have so much cash currently. Could you make an appointment and come again tomorrow?"
The old lady then asked, “How much am I able to withdraw now?”
The teller told her, “Any amount up to ₹300,000.”
The old lady then told the teller that she wanted to withdraw ₹300,000 from her account. The teller did so quickly and handed it to the old lady respectfully. The old lady kept ₹500 in her bag and asked the teller to deposit the balance of ₹299,500 back into her account. The teller was dumbfounded.
The moral of this story is that rules are inflexible but we humans can be flexible when the situation requires us to be. We should not treat people based on their looks or how they are dressed. Rather, we should treat everyone with respect. And never be too quick to judge a book by its cover.
04/02 - 04/09
- Wise Words!
- How to Motivate Yourself
- 5 Proven Methods to Encourage Your Child to Play S...
- Convert Your Irritations into a Positive Energy
- In a class I teach for adults, I recently did ...
- The Best Jobs For Your Personality Type
- Story: The Answer is D
- 14 Methods To Dramatically Increase Your Self-Conf...
- Today's Inspiration: Control or Can't Control
- "Thanks for reminding me"
- Comparison with Others
- Selling More: What Is In It For Me?
- Things Going Well or Things Going Wrong
- The Lady and the Banker
- How to Mindfully Use Technology?
- Health: How to Develop the Habit of Flossing
- Thought to Ponder- Teaching Others and Bringing Ch...
- Humor: Measuring the Height
- Rules of Life ('Rules for Being Human')
- Today's Inspiration - Too Tired, Too Busy, Too Wea...
- ▼ 04/02 - 04/09 (20)
- ► 2016 (961)
- ► 2015 (1034)
- ► 2014 (969)
- ► 2013 (802)
- ► 2012 (882)
- ► 2011 (188)
- ► 2010 (90)
- ► 2009 (58)