Today, email has become the easiest and most popular means of communication. But, sadly, most of us fail to get it right. It is rather easy to send ineffective, unnecessary emails and end up creating a wrong impression. Much easier to understand the dos and don'ts of email instead!
Here are 9 email mistakes that we should stop making this very instant.
1. Using unclear subject lines
Email is most effective when your message is simple, short and to the point. Thus, the subject should be written in such a way that people instantly get an idea on what to expect when they open it.
2. Sending unnecessary email
Remember that email is not a substitute for face-to-face communication. One can avoid sending too many emails if they only choose to talk to each other. There’s no denying that emails are impersonal.
3. Using the wrong toneNobody wants to come across as offensive in their business emails. But the very nature of email can get you in trouble. An off-the-context or humorous comment may not be taken jokingly in an email. The smart approach is to draw a line between being too courteous and too friendly. Sarcasm is a big no as well.
4. Failing to use an email greeting
You shouldn't randomly just start an email. A simple ‘Hi’ or ‘good morning’ is enough to break the ice and keep courtesy intact.
5. Not reviewing an email before sending it
Reviewing an email before you send it can help ensure that its tone, meaning and length are correct. Additionally, it can help you keep a tab on your spelling, grammar and punctuation and that you've selected the right recipients.
6. Using BCC too often
7. Emailing the wrong person
It is common for us to use ‘auto-fill,’ predictive text and ‘threads’, which increases the risk of sending emails to the wrong person. So keep an eye out!
8. Forwarding senseless emails
We're hoping that the era of forwarding emails has gone away. Forwards are just like spam. You might find them hilarious, but it might not be funny to the next person. Thus, there’s no need to spam everyone’s already full inboxes.
9. Writing too much
A verbose email can be a big turn off. Thus, keep it brief.
Home » ethics » Professional » 9 Email Mistakes You're Probably Making And Need To Stop Immediately!