Blog Archive

9 Ways I Can Help Resolve Electricity Crisis

By Junaid Tahir
Electricity is the backbone of a country as millions of tasks, around the clock, are done with the help of electricity in industries, homes, offices, hospitals, schools and so on. Hence, for sure, a country's economy is seriously linked with its energy reservoirs.

Due to the on-going countless hours without electricity in Pakistan, it has become a grave concern of each Pakistani today on how to get rid of this situation. In fact this situation has raised the index of depression, stress and anxiety in society. Every soul is cursing the governments (current & past) for not giving proper importance and taking concrete steps on this subject. However, very minute population is really focusing on the solution of this crisis. Probably 99% of inhabitants think that construction of new dams is the only solution to the problem. This is a major sign of misunderstanding and unawareness because there are several other techniques, if wisely adopted can bring adequate improvement in resolving energy crisis.

Below I am going to draw your attention towards surefire steps for managing the situation at grass root level. The steps mentioned below are in the format of self-audit so that the reader can feel the sense of self accountability. If the answer to these questions are in negative then there is no need for cursing the government because the reader too, unfortunately,  not playing your role just like the government agencies and ministries.

1-    Have I replaced the High Wattage bulbs with the Energy Saving bulbs at my home, shop and/or office? I have to understand the fact that when I replace only one 80 watt bulb with 15 watt energy saver, I will save 65 watts. If one million people do the same, then overall 65 million watts (6500 KW or 65MegaWatts) of electricity will be saved. If the whole nation does this, imagine how much huge difference we can make !!!
2-    Do I use electricity wisely? At day times there is no need for lights. At night I should turn of my computers, ovens etc instead of putting them on 'sleep mode'. Every single watt matters if I consider the big picture.

When I visit the market, do I encourage shop owners to turn extra bulbs and tube lights off ? Do I encourage them to use one large bulb of 100 watts instead of 5 small bulbs of 50 watts each?

Is it possible to use Solar energy devices at home? I should search in the market to see if solar re-chargeable batteries are available?

Too old appliances (Fans, machines etc) are consuming a lot of energy and increasing my monthly bills. In recent years a lot of new appliances are available which are smart and energy efficient.

Do I turn the lights, fans and other appliances off when leaving the room?

Do I turn the air conditioner off when I am away from home for more than 2 hours? Do I set the thermostat at 24 degrees?  Article written by Junaid Tahir

If I belong to any media company (TV, print, internet, radio etc), can I arrange some seminars for the public awareness? Can I take some steps to share the knowledge with people who do not use internet?

Should I share this email/article with more and more Pakistanis for awareness so that I can contribute to bring revolutionary impact in resolving the energy disaster?
As we know that there are thousands of jobless people because of the closed factories/industries due to energy crisis; the families of such people are living hand to mouth life now a days.

So next time, when you carelessly use the electricity, tell yourself that partially you are responsible for the circumstances of those kids who didn't eat their food as their father didn't earn because of the closed factory/shop. Realize your responsibilities and play your role starting NOW instead of waiting for government to start the large and time consuming projects although pushing the relevant ministries in respective domains should not be stopped at all.

About Author: Junaid Tahir is a passionate blogger. He writes articles on Leadership, Stress Management and Life Enhancement subjects at his personal blog

21 comments

Dr. Noor Fatima mod

Mr. Junaid thanks for such awareness of individual responsibility. I worked in Power Sector for 13 years and now I am in academic and believe it is very difficult to make students aware at uni. level that how much important is INDIVIDUAL role is , even if we look at our press habit of the dresses, particularly woman, if reviewed, can conserve energy.

I will add your suggestions in my awareness campaign which i keep on doing at my limited level of uni. in Islamabad.

Best Regards,
Dr. Noor Fatima

Narayana Charyulu Eachempati mod

Dear Mr. Junaid Tahir,

I appreciate your concern for resolving electricity problems which is now universally valid.
Best wishes

Zahid Hashmi mod

Dear Sir,

You may also write something about role and responsibility of next govt about electricity crisis in Pakistan.

Regards,

Zahid Hashmi

ARIF CHISHTI mod

Dear Tahir Sahib,

I read you mail with full attention with imaginary facts. You are a real Pakistani having positive approach to overcome electricity crisis the biggest problem of current period in our homeland.You are so simple dear to understand the psyche(human behaviour) of our country men. We per unit in paisas & not in Rupees while we were generating electricity on hydraulic system through dams. Our non-engineer politicians created hurdles for their vested interests & push us in this horrible stage. On the other hand Western countries, China & some other countries earned huge amount of our country budget on supplying generators, batteries, diesel etc than dozens of big dam be constructed by using that amount. As for as the theft of electricity is concerned its a long discussion, there are lacs of peoples in the country particularly in Karachi who do not pay a single penny on enjoying electricity on KUNDA-SYSTEM you & I am well aware of this but cannot do or cry for our safety & security. Number government offices, semi-government offices, autonomous bodies even our MNAs,MPAs etc have to pay billion of rupees bills.There is no planning at all regarding daily sale of electronic goods increasing consumption of electricity.

Dear, first of all we should gather ourselves as MUSLIM & PAKISTANI NATION and forget provincialism & sectarian thoughts other-wise such nation erased from world map.However we appreciate the presence of people like you & hopeful that every Pakistani should now play his role to build Pakistan towards a developed nation.
with regards

Thanks a lot Mr Narayana for your candid comment.
stay blessed.
Junaid

Dear Arif sb
you have a very insightful approach so in summary:

1- Preventive Actions for Fraud
a) Accountability of the peole & departments who have not paid the bills
b) national level audit / Chaapa system and punishment
c) Audit of existing contracts and punishment to relevant parties

2- Awareness for common people to use electricity wisely.
a) most of the points i summarized in my earlier email
b) Convincing people that if we cannot change ourselves, we should not expect government to change themselves.

3- New production of electricity
a) Government must have neutral auditor/advisers to review and come up with short term and long term strategies. (wind, hydal, thermal, solar etc)
b) Full utilization of existing resources (a lot of machinery is damaged/out of order which can/must be utilized to produce electricity
c) Free import of Solar Panels to be allowed by Government so that these could be utilized with full potential specially in summary season from April to July.

Regards
Junaid

Salam Mrs Noor Fatima,
You have a valid point that even ironing is quite important because iron is one of the most power consuming component (usually 1000 watts).
Unfortunately very less number of people are really concerned about playing their role, instead, they are fully relying on the authorities to produce more electricity. As a nation we lack in having sense of responsibility.
Thanks a lot for your time in spreading awareness.
Wasalam
Junaid Tahir

Those who run and managed the country are not job less and their kids do not sleep hungry.The people knew it that whom they were voting and for what. The ugly are the people, more corrupt than that of the bloody politicians.

You are right Baig sb.
Public needs to posses more wisdom about national problems because their vote of electing the right brains will decide their future.
Junaid

Junaid

Great write up. Coincidentally, as I was driving to work I was just thinking of awareness messages as public service ads on TV. Water, energy saving, road and driving safety were ideas that were coming to my mind. I am a strong advocate of conservation. The info you provided on saving 6500 MW is tremendous. Suggest u try and sell the message to GEO TV or NEPRA. We really need to awaken our countrymen to be responsible.

Good luck and wishing you continued success. Always enjoy your informative emails.

Rifaat

Dear Zahid, Yes, we must write and speak up for our rights and for the responsibilities of our government. However I must say that when we become responsible citizen by following the law, by utilizing the resources with fair approach and by avoiding the corruption then we can become a better nation and then we will definitely select better people to govern us. If we don't elect right people, we can not teach them about their responsibilities now matter how many articles we read and write:)
Thanks for being concerned and thanks for being a responsible citizen
Stay blessed.
Junaid

ARIF CHISHTI mod

Dear junaid Tahir Sahib,

I appreciate that you feel pain in your heart for betterment of this nation. Every planning & protective Laws are there but what can we do while our rulers are indulged in bad practices. In addition majority of our Pakistani Bhais wash their hands in flowing bad water GANGA(RIVER)as their Rulers are doing so.
I am Head Of Internal Audit Department having with total experience of 43 years in Accounts, Finance & Audit in different organizations. I cannot reveals the facts that what's going on in evading tax by Business,Land Lords & Politicians community. By the grace of Al-Mighty Allah Ta'ala we have enough natural resources which cannot be explore due to western lobby peoples in bureaucracy & Rulers. Brain drain of science community continued as they have no jobs here in Pakistan.

IN MY OPINION IF THE RULERS ARE PIOUS, HONEST HAVING GOOD GOVERNACE BACKED BY GENUINE JUDICIARY EVERY THING IS POSSIBLE THEN THE PEOPLES WILL ALSO AVOID BAD PRACTICES.
HOPE FOR THE BEST
WITH REGARDS

Salam Mrs Rifaat.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes your approach of conservation is absolutely right. It is very unfortunate that we as a nation lack in awareness on such subjects. While everyone criticizes the politicians, no one really bothers to think about his/her own role.
I have tried to spread my message through the social media including Tumblr, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Blogger,Google plus, StumbleUpon etc and a thousand plus daily visitors to my website.

However I strongly believe that a great ripple effect is required to be generated by thousands of Pakistanis in order to propagate this message to each individual.
Once again, thanks for being concerned.
Regards
Junaid

Dr A Karim Booniwala mod

Great what a fantastic energy conserving email by honorable Junaid ..

Thanks Junaid for planet level guidelines all the time for all the disciplines of life

Dr A Karim Booniwala
General Surgeon and specialist

Dear Junaid Tahir,

It is not the matter of using the electricity carelessly but to avoid from the looter and the minting factories in the name of corrupt governance.

The electricity costing the people at the rate of Rs.5 to 118 along with taxes is self designed by the ruler to how to earn billions of rupees from the bloody poor who ever elect or select the corrupt.

Mohammad Baig mod

Dear Junaid Tahir,

Dear Mohammd Baig sb,

In fact, you are absolutely right that our shameful leadership is using the electricity crisis to run their personal business...

however dont you think that we are actually responsible for their actions because we are the ones who elect them, we are the ones who do not reject them, we are the ones who support them on all kind of social media, we are the ones who do not bring them in the court of justice..

you are right in your complaints however only complaining will not resolve the issue UNTIL we play our role by acting on the 9 points i mentioned above.... Charity begins from home so we have to spread awareness on not only using electricity wisely but also choosing our leaders with honesty.

Many thanks for your comments
Regards

Krishnamurthy B S mod

Dear Sir,
Excellently given about power reduction. can be given throughout India.

Regards & Thanks

Mohammed Baig mod

Dear Junaid Tahir,

Dear Mohammd Baig sb,
I have read the letters ... in fact, you are absolutely right that our shameful leadership is using the electricity crisis to run their personal business... however dont you think that we are actually responsible for their actions becuase we are the one who elect them, we are the one who do not reject them, we are the one who support them on all kind of social media, we are the one who do not bring them in the court of justice..

Many thanks for your comments
Regards

Hi Junaid,

Very Nice Article. Thanks for Sharing.

Its not limited only to Pakistan, but It applies to whole world. We are reaching the global warming levels and we must start caring for the Nature.

Warm Regards,