Talking with children about difficult topics can be challenging for adults. It can be even harder for some children to understand and communicate their thoughts and feelings about certain subjects. It is important to be patient and understanding, and to keep the lines of communication open at all times.
03/01 - 03/08
- How to Talk With Children About Difficult Topics
- Management Tip: Get Promoted
- Sentences with Twist :)
- Tips to Increase Your Leadership Skills
- Who Are Great Leaders?
- Brain Damaging Habits
- Feelings of Being Nice But Actually Wrong
- Agenda For An Efficient Meeting
- Need success? Work on your thoughts !
- Humor: Second Opinion
- Be Thankful
- Story: Competing with Others
- Thought for the Day - The Extra One Degree
- Vitamin D Deficiency Can Cause Diabetes
- ▼ 03/01 - 03/08 (14)
- ► 2014 (969)
- ► 2013 (802)
- ► 2012 (883)
- ► 2011 (189)
- ► 2010 (91)
- ► 2009 (59)
Gone are the days when you progress up the hierarchy at a steady pace, headed for corner office. There simply aren't enough leadership positions to go around, and most people regularly switch jobs and organizations. With no ladder to climb, look at career moves differently:
Cast a wider net.
Be open to horizontal experience, not just vertical progression. If you're a financial analyst, for example, consider analyst positions in other areas, perhaps in market research or sales.
Prove you can handle the responsibilities.
Find ways to demonstrate your capabilities. Are you interested in taking on a management role? Offer to help your manager by interviewing job candidates or training new people.
Grow your skills.
Seek out opportunities to learn — and pounce on them. If no one in your company knows how to do something, take it upon yourself to master that skill. The knowledge you gain might make you a natural choice for the next open leadership position.
HBR Guide to Getting the Right Job.
Paraprosdokians are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected and frequently humorous.
1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.
3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
5. We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.
6. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
7. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit... Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.
9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. In filling out an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency, Notify:' I put 'DOCTOR'.
11. You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
12. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
13. You're never too old to learn something stupid.
14. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
|Story - Cockroach theory for self development|
|Story – The wife and the window|
|Story - Change yourself rather than change the world|
|Story - The Ant & the Contact Lens|
|Story - Easy to criticize, difficult to improve|
|Story – The Boy and the Girl|
|Story – The Law of Garbage Truck|
|Story - How I Became Honest|
Being a leader is one of the most effective, and a responsible job that a highly skilled person can have. A leader is the one who is always on the top, representing a group of people or a person. He must have the vision to take their company or institution to a respectable position. A leader must develop the quality of solving any given crisis in an effective way.
Here are some guidelines to increase your leadership quality:
Develop the quality of suggesting and planning:
For a leader, it is very important to have the quality of suggesting and plan according to a strategy. And the leader has to make sure that he can suggest their employers a better way to complete their task more effectively.
Represent and control your team:
Representing the group is one of the most essential tasks a leader has to make. It is the duty of a leader to voice his and his team's ideas. If a leader can represent his team more effectively, definitely he can positively influence his teammates and motivate them to work even more dynamically. A leader must include the quality of controlling the group, by observing their teams performance, instructing them to go in a right way, so that their work can be successfully presented.
Be open minded:
A good leader should be open minded to his employees, and he must listen to what his co-workers say and must value their ideas, and try to modify their ideas in a better way at the initial stage without rejecting their ideas. It may be helpful for the leaders too, as they may get new ideas for solving any crisis.
Define your goals:
Being a leader you must always describe your goal or your aim to the employees. This is a must because, for an employee it is very necessary for them to know their company's goal and vision. When they know their goal they put more effort on their work and they take it as a challenge to reach that goal. It will help them to complete their work successfully and they can benefit their company with their performance.
Be fair with your employees:
It is the duty of the leaders to be fair with all the workers in a company. Respect the employees feeling without being impartial. Know the interests of your employees and treat every worker equally without being biased.
By Junaid Tahir
Leaders of required to posses several supreme personality traits such as competence, commitment, courage, focus, generosity, passion, responsibility, vision, problem solving attitude and self-discipline. Below analogies are given for the leaders for their self audits which constitute for the transformation from 'effectiveness to greatness' as per Stephen R Covey's book "The 8th Habit®":
2- The Great Leader is like the Foundation of a Building: He penetrates enough in the roots in order to strengthen the foundation of the company. By penetrating means he has strong grip on the policies, procedures, products and services. This helps company grow more and more.
3- The Great Leader is like the Rocket: When in action, he focuses on the target with full zeal and zest. He does not get distracted by any other disturbances and challenges in his path.
4- The Great Leader is like the Doctor: Who knows the real root cause of the diseases (issues). He is analytical in his approach. He not only take corrective actions in order to fix the issues but also takes preventive actions in order to overcome the diseases/problems so as to eliminate them permanently.
5- The Great Leader is like the Train Engine: He has a clear destination in his mind. He makes sure that all of the passengers (employees) reach their destination. The passengers (employees) belong to so many categories (low/high performing, active/inactive, sick/healthy, poor/rich etc) however he takes all of them along with him towards the target destination and steadily reaches there. He keeps the engine up and running to ensure that target is achieved by all means.
6- The Great Leader is like the Professor: He teaches his followers with theoretical, practical, pictorial, verbal, friendly and/or commanding ways of trainings. He is effective in communication and clearly elaborates his requirements/targets so that every single member clearly understands the target and his/her role.
7- The Great Leader is like the Servant: He facilitates the tasks and paves the way for his clients (team members), eventually the clients focus on their major responsibilities.
8- The Great Leader is like the Newspaper: He highlights and summarizes the critical happenings so that the readers (followers) are up-to-date about surroundings and adjust their work related strategies accordingly.
9- The Great Leader is like the Water: He cleanse the system by removing the dirt, by reducing the impurities.
10- The Great Leader is like a Cricket Captain: He organizes the players/resources based on the demand. He performs for his team and not for his personal achievements. For him, team comes first so his intentions from his team and company's perspective are WIN-WIN.
What other analogies you have in your mind for Great Leaders?
Some articles you may like:
About Author: Junaid Tahir, a telecom engineer and a blogger, writes articles on wisdom, happiness and stress management. His articles can be read Here
It causes hardening of the brain arteries, leading to a decrease in mental power.
4.High Sugar consumption.
Too much sugar will interrupt the absorption of proteins and nutrients causing malnutrition and may interfere with brain development.
The brain is the largest oxygen consumer in our 20 body. Inhaling polluted air decreases the supply of oxygen to the brain, bringing about a decrease in brain efficiency.
7.Head covered while sleeping.
Sleeping with the head covered increases the concentration of carbon dioxide and decrease concentration of oxygen that may lead to brain damaging effects.
8.Working your brain during illness.
Working hard or studying with sickness may lead to a decrease in effectiveness of the brain as well as damage the brain.
9.Lacking in stimulating thoughts.
Intellectual conversations will promote the efficiency of the brain.
There is nothing wrong in what I do to others;
My thoughts about myself and others are perfectly logical;
The way I communicate is very sound and reasonable;
So overall I am close to an ideal human being !!!
Right? Wrong. You can be wrong some times. Everyone can be wrong sometimes and if you don't mind, let me say, you can be wrong quite often; several times a day even. It's my polite way of telling you that there is nothing wrong in being wrong as long as you understand your fault and strive to eradicate it. Actually, the sooner you confess this fact, the sooner you will open the doors of self-improvement and pave the way to reach your destination to achieve your life-time goals.
Remember this reality that successful people are those who consistently audit themselves on what they think, what and when they speak and how they act. Such people keep improving their mental horizons and their personality traits and consequently become the 'men of honor' in the eyes of the world. On the contrary, unsuccessful people are those who keep finding faults in others and keep considering themselves as a concrete ideal personality and leave no cushion for improvement.
So in conclusion it's a matter of choice on whether you would like to be a victorious person or a complete disaster. A wise man said that I have learnt the wisdom from fools because I don't do what they do. So the advice here is to keep your mind open all the times; observe others not to find their faults but to improve yourself. One day you will become what you consistently think and what you repeatedly do.
Labels: self audit
By Anonymous from USA.
In the workplace, time is of the essence, and meetings can be the ultimate time-waster. How can you avoid wasting time and run the most efficient meetings possible?
Try these tips
- - Start and finish the meeting on time. If there's more to consider, plan the appropriate follow-up actions or schedule another meeting.
- - At the close of the meeting, ask if participants are comfortable with the outcomes.
- - Make sure all meeting participants know that you expect them to be on time and prepared to discuss their agenda items.
- - Encourage everyone to speak up. Quieter people may have valuable contributions, but they may need some encouragement to share them.
- - Provide a detailed agenda for each meeting. It should include topics for and the purpose of discussion, as well as a discussion leader and time allotment for each topic. Distribute the agenda a couple of days before the meeting so that meeting participants have time to prepare.
- - Assign someone to take notes in each meeting. That way, decisions and follow-up action items are documented and can be circulated to the meeting's participants.
- - Determine which meetings are really necessary. If the objective of a meeting is to simply update others about ongoing projects, it might make more sense to send a memo or group e-mail, or to post the information on your company's computer network. However, for in-depth discussions, meetings generally work best.
Direct Attention Thinking Tools (DATT)™
There is a famous saying that we are the product of our thoughts. That means we become what we think about continuously! Hence thoughts are very important ingredient of our success. This article covers the importance of thoughts, their contributing factors, thought analysis and purification techniques.
During all day we keep thinking about things, events, families, issues, future, money, office and several other stuff. Our thoughts drive us to take some actions and hence we are moving towards our destiny by each and every action. That means our thought is the strongest part of our destiny as it is the root cause of every action. In my opinion, our Thoughts Process primarily consists of following five contributing factors. I will include some of the details of each factor and summarize the Thought Purification tips under each category below:
1. Education: Education broadens the horizon of our minds. More education means that the mind is exposed to more knowledge and possibilities. Education when combined with experience result in more mental growth as compared to a less educated person. Hence the quality of thoughts are directly linked with the education. So to keep our 'thoughts seeds' healthy we must seek for Good knowledge, the knowledge which freshen up our brain cells, which gives us positive energy and boosts up our mental power. So we must keep learning new things throughout our life in order to synergize.
2. Desires: This is sometimes a killing factor. For example, If we let our brain running behind our desires blindly, we will end up with considering short-cuts in our life for achievements. These short cuts basically kill the purity of thoughts and consequently bound us doing social evils such as back-biting, lying, deceiving, stealing, fraud, bribery and other forms of corruption. Hence, we have to have sold control on our desires to control this phenomenon. But this does not mean, we should drop our genuine desires. Remember, Positive desires combined with Positive Thoughts and Actions will result in success. However Positive Desires combined with Negative Thoughts and Action will result in crimes which I just mentioned above.
3. Brought up: Each one of us has been brought up in a unique way by our parents. Some of us have been grown in very healthy physical and mental family environment. Some have mixed kind of situations both positive and negative in terms of finance, family bonding and social lives. Our mental growth has been based on all the events which have been taking place in our childhood, teenage and even our current day to day life. We can't go back to past to change our brought-up but what we can do is to drop the negative part of our past and tightly hold on to the positive one. It's pretty much straight forward. If we wish to keep the Negative things in mind, that means we are polluting your brain and your 'Thinking System'. So the choice is ours!
4. Company (family & friends): This is something we can really work on to make our life happy. A mature 'human environment' is an indication of healthy mental growth. We must always try to surround yourself with positive, fun-loving, friendly, optimistic, constructive, cheerful and bright people so the brain is free from stress consequently brain will automatically start working on positive thoughts. When with family, we should always endeavour for creating a happy environment by meeting the logical desires of family members, cracking jokes, listening empathically. This helps divert the brain towards positive feelings and hence our upcoming thoughts would be mature, positive and stress-free.
5. Circumstances: Good and bad things happen to everyone but we must not throw ourselves totally on our circumstances. It is said that life is 20% what happens to us and 80% how we react to it. So consider every challenge as a new adventure and try to adopt a positive approach for a safe exit. Control your circumstance by surrounding yourself with positive people, behaving good with others, taking corrective and preventive measures for any mishaps. There are situations when we don't have control on the events happened to us. In this case, we don't have much choice but to live with the situation. However we shouldn't let such things steal our peace of mind. So we need to seek help from others and try to find solution. It is advised not to get involved too much for any situation. It is wisely said by someone that if you can't laugh on the same joke again and again so why worrying on the same trouble again and again!
Conclusion: You are the product of your thoughts. Quality of your thoughts determines the level of peace of mind. Good thoughts result in good fruit, bad thoughts bad fruit. So every seed of thought matters. Always remember: Small minds think and discuss about people, average minds think and discuss about events, higher minds think and discuss about ideas and great mind actually execute & innovate in silence.
- Experiencing Others' Pain
- Experiencing Others' Pain
A lady went to a doctor to complain about a pain in her side. He informed her she was suffering from appendicitis and must undergo an operation.
Not quite trusting the doctor, she went to another physician for a second opinion.
This time, the doctor said her gall bladder has to be removed.
Feeling horrified at the diagnosis, the woman told her friend: "I'm returning to my first doctor. I'd rather have appendicitis, than gall bladder removed."
By Junaid Tahir Usama Rauf is a nice friend of mine. He is known as Foodopedia (Food Wikipedia) amongst us as he is t...
Posted by Gabrielle Reece Exercise . Amen for endorphins. Believe me, they've helped me many days with my perspec...
(Your competition is with yourself) Comparing ourselves with others creates a fake sense of being, and curbs our uniqueness and ind...
Believe it or not, simply changing a few daily habits can have a major impact on your metabolism! If you're trying to lose weight, inc...
By Junaid Tahir In our day to day life whether official, personal or social, we have to deal with complications. Some situations ...
Are you controlling them or vice-versa? We humans spend much of our time trying to control every aspect of our lives. Unfortunatel...
Novice Internet surfers are eager to explore World Wide Web known for researching, shopping, communicating and...
Tallest existing structure: 829.84 m (2,723 ft) (previously KVLY-TV mast – 628.8 m/2,063 ft) Tallest structure ever built: 829.84 m...
Picture this: You meet someone new. "What do you do?" he asks. "I'm an architect," you say. "Oh, r...